Monday, November 30, 2009

Kombucha

I'm very happy to report that a friend gave me a kombucha mushroom (known as a scoby) over the weekend and yesterday I started my first homemade batch. I'm really a junkie for this stuff. I often buy GT's (have you seen the picture of him and his mom, who was saved from breast cancer by kombucha, up at Whole Foods? His mom looks like Dolly Parton!) but it's pricey and sometimes not that fresh tasting. The process of making kombucha seems simple and every batch gives birth to a new scoby. The mother mushroom just keeps on growing though so you can divide her in two and pass her along to a friend. Which leads me to say, give me a little time and hopefully I will be able to provide someone else with a mushroom soon, just like my friend did for me.
Coincidentally, if I would have been born a boy, my parents were going to name me Scoby.

No comments:

Post a Comment